Summer is not the only time of year for gathering friends and family for fun times. There’s just something about fall that makes you want to have a bonfire and sit outside enjoying the cooler, crisp air. Whether it’s tailgating with the gang before your favorite team’s football game, or a night with friends on the deck, we have some great ideas for fall-inspired cocktails – and a mocktail too.
Maple Bourbon Old-Fashioned
Try a sweet spin on the classic cocktail courtesy of Delish.com, makes 1
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1 dash bitters
- 1 orange zest curl
- 2 ounces bourbon
- 1 maraschino cherry, for garnish
- Combine maple syrup, water and bitters in a glass, stirring until well blended. Add a few blocks of ice and the orange peel, then pour bourbon on top.
- Garnish with a cherry and serve.
Hot Mulled Cider
Try this warming cocktail courtesy of foodandwine.com, serves 8.
- 1 gallon apple cider
- 3/4 cup dry white wine, such as Chardonnay
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 quince—peeled, cored and finely chopped
- One 4-inch rosemary sprig
- Two 3- to 4-inch cinnamon sticks, broken
- 4 cloves
- 1 star anise
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- Combine the cider, wine, honey, quince, rosemary, cinnamon, cloves, star anise and lemon zest in a large saucepan and simmer over low heat for 45 minutes.
- Strain the mulled cider and discard the solids.
- Serve the mulled cider warm.
The strained mulled cider can be refrigerated overnight. Reheat before serving.
Bourbon Ginger Snap
This one takes a little more time, but tastes amazing (everyone will want the recipe). The recipe serves 20 – perfect for those times when you’re hosting. Recipe courtesy of RealSimple.com.
- 2 quarts water
- 1 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup honey
- 1 3-inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and sliced
- 6 cups fresh orange juice
- 4 cups pear nectar
- 1 liter bourbon
- 2 lemons, thinly sliced
- ice, for serving
- In a large saucepan, combine 2 quarts water, the fresh lemon juice, honey, and ginger; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Strain into a large bowl; let cool.
- Add the orange juice, pear nectar, bourbon, and lemons to the lemon syrup. Serve over ice.
Pumpkin White Russian
A delicious autumn twist on the classic White Russian cocktail courtesy of pizzazzerie.com.
- 2 ounces Pinnacle® Original Vodka
- 1 ounce coffee liqueur
- 1 ounce heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon canned pumpkin puree
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- Add all ingredients to a cocktail shaker filled with ice. Shake and strain over ice. Garnish with a additional pinch of pumpkin pie spice.
Apple Cider Mimosas
You only need two ingredients to make these – Champagne and apple cider. You can garnish the rim with caramel, sprinkles or cinnamon sugar. This one is a fun and creative spin on the Classic Mimosa. Recipe and image from The Cookie Rookie.
- 1/2 cup Apple Cider
- 1/4 cup Champagne
- Gold and silver sprinkles for rim of glass (optional)
- Apple slices for garnish (optional)
- Dip the top of each champagne glass into water and then dip in the sprinkles to coat.
- Pour each champagne glass 1/2 – 3/4 full with apple cider.
- Top with champagne.
Pomegranate Blueberry Mocktail
This beautiful beverage includes pomegranate juice and soda, white grape juice and frozen blueberries for a sweet-tart dose of antioxidants. Recipe courtesy of everydayannie.com.
- ¼ cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 3 ounces pomegranate soda
- 3 ounces pomegranate juice
- 2 ounces white grape juice
- Lemon slices, for garnish
- Add blueberries to a glass and mash slightly.
- Fill glass with ice, if desired.
- Combine the soda, pomegranate juice and white grape juice.
- Pour the mixture into the glass with the blueberries and garnish with a slice of lemon.